Posted by Justin Case — 31 Jul 2011
From Wikipedia, a TROLL is:
"someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."
There has been quite an uproar this last week over an image, one user's comment in response to the image (and captioning) and the original contributor's response to that comment.
Those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, 'move along...there's nothing to see here'.
If you know exactly what I'm writing about, well... then... you MAYbe a troll!
Please understand, JPG's "Discussion Guidelines" (a link to which appears in every comment box I've seen on the site) quite simply states:
JPG is about inspiration and the joy of photography, so keep that in mind when commenting. Be respectful and offer encouragement; don't be a jerk.
If you post on the comments to someone's submission something that is an 'attack' on them, their work or their world-view... then you are a troll.
If you are the contributor and you choose to respond to a commenter in a mean, heavy-handed, profanity-laced and vitriolic fashion, then you are a troll.
If you choose to comment to 'support' one side or the other and do so in a way that further incites or is incendiary, then you are a troll.
Bottom line is this.
1) If you have something nice to say... SAY IT!
- 'nice' aka comment, prop, compliment on the image/story
2) If you have something negative to say... SAY IT!
- 'negative' aka critique, criticism, feedback on the image/story
3) If you're going to attack someone personally or skewer their religious beliefs (or lack thereof), their politics (or lack thereof), gender or sexual bias (or lack of either of the aforesaid)... then KEEP IT TO YOURSELF, turn of your computer (or iPad or iPhone or whatever) and take a nice walk outside with your camera.
No one wants to hang out and read comments from grumpy trolls*!
* and, your nasty comments are subject to deletion and your account is subject to suspension and/or deletion as well...keep it civil.