Sign up for JPG+ to start using collections now!
Photo license: © All rights reserved
The Black Rock Harbor Lighthouse Station was established in 1808 with a small octagonal wooden tower at the southern tip of Fayerweather Island. The current 41 foot rubble-stone and brownstone block tower was erected in 1823 after the original was destroyed in a gale. In 1854 a 5th order Fresnel lens was installed displaying a fixed white light that was visible for 11 nautical miles.
The Black Rock Harbor Lighthouse was deactivated in 1933 and then licensed to the City of Bridgeport. The lighthouse stood abandoned and vandalized until 1983 when it was restored by the Bridgeport Environmental Protection Commission and the Friends of Seaside Park. Fayerweather Island was also cleared of debris, landscaped and public paths and hiking trails were developed. Sadly, the vandalism continued and the tower was again in need of repair. In 1998, the Black Rock Seaport Foundation, affiliated with the Black Rock Community Council, initiated a full restoration of the tower including the use of graffiti resistant paint and solar lighting to illuminate the structure (the light itself remains inactive). Sadly, despite the community's efforts to keep Black Rock Harbor Lighthouse in pristine condition, vandals continue to make graffiti.
The Black Rock Harbor Lighthouse remains an attraction in Bridgeport's Seaside Park. The lighthouse and park are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Seaside Park National Register District.
Please Login or Sign Up
Login or Sign Up
Need contest credits? Get 'em here!
Select a Shoot Out contest credit package below.