Something to Shoot
Sign up for JPG+ to start using collections now!
Photo license: © All rights reserved
Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, SC
The first Fort Moultrie was built in 1776 and turned back the British attempt to take Charleston, SC. during the Battle of Sullivan's Island. The fort was made from palmetto logs and inspired the design of the state flag.
A much improved Fort Moultrie was taken over by Confederates in 1861 when Major Anderson moved his garrison to Fort Sumter. Fort Moultrie remained in Confederate hands until February 1865 when Charleston, SC was evacuated.
The fort was once again modernized in the 1870s and continued as part of our seacoast defense until 1947. The Department of Defense turned the fort over to the National Park Service in 1960. It is the only fort in the National Park system where the entire history of the American seacoast defense (1776â€“1947) can be traced.
Canon EOS 350Dcamera with a Sigma AF18-200mm DC OS Zoom lens
17 March 2008
Please Login or Sign Up
Login or Sign Up
Need contest credits? Get 'em here!
Select a Shoot Out contest credit package below.