If these walls could only talk..
Sign up for JPG+ to start using collections now!
Photo license: © All rights reserved
Taken August 3, 2011
St. Charles Mission Church and the mission house were built in the mid 1800's by Oblate Missionaries on a site that was originally located by the explorer Alexander McKenzie, on the banks of the Peace River in Alberta, Canada, in 1793 while on his search for the Western (Pacific) Ocean.
Ft. Dunvegan has a remarkable past, having been fought over by the rival NorthWest and Hudson Bay Trading companies, who were both established fur traders with the Beaver, Slave, Owl and other Indian bands of the area. There was a fort here at one time but it was destroyed by fire. The mission buildings and a trading post residence are all that remain of what was once a very active community. In 1882 an Anglican Mission was also established here. The grave of the Anglican minister's infant daughter has become a must see for visitors.. it brings a special sense of reality, or connection, to this community of the past. Diaries indicate that life was very trying and difficult for these early settlers and for the first nations people as well..
These two buildings have been restored in recent years..
Please Login or Sign Up
Login or Sign Up
Need contest credits? Get 'em here!
Select a Shoot Out contest credit package below.