Sign up for JPG+ to start using collections now!
Photo license: © All rights reserved
Begun in 1882 by Franklin H. Gruber a single craftsman, this grew into a 20-man, family run business. At the beginning, everything was done by hand. By the time it closed in 1971, the Gruber family had adopted a pulley system, first powered by horse, then by water, finally by gas engine. In 1976 the Army Corp of Engineers relocated the entire works, including over 19,000 tools left behind at the end of its run, to its current location near the Berks Heritage Center.
Please Login or Sign Up
Login or Sign Up
Need contest credits? Get 'em here!
Select a Shoot Out contest credit package below.