Light Painting With a Twist
By Dylan Greer
3 Oct 2009
If you want to know how to light paint with your iPhone or iPod touch, follow these directions.
First, you need an iPod touch or iPhone, then you need to get the flash light app called '"MyLite". After you download the app, set the flash light, put it on the mode that changes colors while it strobes, or any other setting you like. When you take a picture set the shutter speed to about four to six seconds in a fairly dark room, maybe have he TV on, or just enough light to see around the room. While taking the picture get creative with the movement of the light, and great results will occur. If you follow these simple directions, you should get the same results as I did.
The app is totally free on iTunes, there are very few flashlight apps for the iPhone or iPod touch with the changing colored strobes and solid colored screens all in one for free. Light painting with this technique is so much fun. To get a group of friends all together and making one giant light painting makes it even more fun. But some things that make light painting a little easier is:
1. Only use a shutter speed of about four to six seconds.
2. Get crazy with your movements, the more you move the more fun you will have, and the better the pictures will turn out.
3. Try, try, and try. Take as many picture as you can with this, then you will have tons of great pictures to pick from when you are deciding to print or upload to the Internet.
4. If you don't know how to set a camera manually, set it to a landscape mode for this technique. The landscape mode will give you a shutter speed between four and six seconds, and it will set the aperature so that you can see all the light in the picture.
5. Even if you don't have an SLR you can still get pictures like these. All the pictures used for the story were taken with a simple point and shoot. All you have to do is set it to a "fireworks" mode, which most point and shoots have, and begin shooting.
6. Last of all, you don't have to have a really fancy camera to be a great photographer and to get great photos.