What is your Story during a photo walk?
20 Sep 2012
I live in Chennai, India and a proud member of "The Chennai Photowalk
" club, we do photo walks once or twice every month.
The moment you step on the streets and click a photo, you tend to meet different kinds of people, their mindset differs. Some are friendly, some are hostile at times personal or social attacks happen on the photographers.
So What is your story on street photography?
Here is mine
Earlier I had lied to every person saying, we all are taking pictures to learn photography, and that our club members eventually become masters of the trade.
Story not convincing - The problem, what is in for the on goers?
After a recent personal attack by an on goer I realized that I needed a compelling story which would convince them to even pose after a talk.
1) Ask them, do they know about this city or place well
2) How was it 25 years ago, 50 years or even 100 years ago?
3) Relate to a News paper citing of how the city was X years before.
By this time, an average person understands, What this street photography is all about?
If not, tell them
4) How would our children known about this popular landmark, say 50 years from now?
5) Our group does this social cause of recording places for the next generations to cherish
That is how I met these girls, told the story and finally got them to even pose.
By the way there are on lookers, sure I could land in trouble If I have been just taking photos of them, sure you too will adjust to surroundings when time comes.
The last photo was to ascertain that it was street photography, lol.