Ruins of the Mexican Revolution, Ghost Town
By Rob Pos
11 Jan 2013
Due to constant attacks by Chichimeca Indians, in 1576, the Spanish built a small garrison to protect shipments of mineral were shipped from Zacatecas to Mexico City which went through this, called Ruta de la Plata.
It was the Viceroy Luis de Velasco who in 1589 gave the Jesuits their exploitation.
The mine extracted quicksilver or mercury, indispensable for the production of silver.
In 1778, with the order of removal of all territories of the Spanish Crown, the mine passed into private hands, but it was not until the time of the Porfiriato when equipped with a modern plant were made large withdrawals of gold and silver.
At the beginning of the Mexican Revolution, the mines were abandoned, its decay and abandon worsened during the Cristero War (1926-1929).
For half of the twentieth century, only had a population of about 200 inhabitants, which earned the reputation as a "ghost town".