Khusro Bagh (Hindi: ख़ुसरो बाग़, Urdu: خسرو باغ) is a large walled garden, close to the Allahabad Junction Station, in Allahabad, India,
16 Aug 2013
The design of its main entrance, the surrounding gardens, and the three-tier tomb of Sultan Begum, who died in 1604, has been attributed to Aqa Reza, Jahangir's principal court artist. Shah Begum, originally Man Bai, was the daughter of Raja Bhagvan Das of Amber. Distressed by the discord between her husband Jahangir and son Khusrau, she committed suicide in 1604 by swallowing opium. Her tomb was designed in 1606 by Aqa Reza and is a three storied terrace plinth without a main mound, inviting comparisons with Fatehpur Sikri by experts. The tomb however has a large chhatri that surmounts the plinth and the arabesque inscriptions that adorn her tomb were carved out by Mir Abdullah Mushkin Qalam, Jahangir's greatest calligrapher.
Next to the Begum's is the tomb of Khusrau's sister, Nithar. Architecturally, this is the most elaborate of the three. It lies on an elevated platform and is adorned with panels depicting the scalloped arch motif. Within the plinth are rooms whose ceilings have been elaborately painted with stars in concentric circles. The central room has on its walls floral decorations depicting Persian cypresses, flowers and plants.
Tomb of Nithar
Enclosure wall and Gateway of Khusru Bagh
The tomb of Khusrau, is the last of the three tombs in Khusro Bagh. Khusro was first imprisoned within the garden after he rebelled against his father, Jahangir, in 1606. Following an attempt to escape, he was blinded on Jahangir's instructions and was later killed, in 1622, on the orders of Khusrau's brother and Jehangir's third sonPrince Khurram, who later became the EmperorShah Jahan. The tomb has fretwork windows and the tomb of his mare lies near his own.
Khusrau's tomb was completed in 1622, while that of Nithar Begum's, which lies between Shah Begum's and Khusrau's tombs, was built on her instructions in 1624-25. Nithar's mausoleum is however empty and it does not contain her tomb within it.
During the Revolt of 1857 Khusrau Bagh became the headquarters of the sepoys under Maulvi Liyakat Ali who took charge as the Governor of liberated Allahabad. In Allahabad however the Mutiny was swiftly put down and Khusro Bagh was retaken by the British in two weeks.
The garden has now lend its name to the surrounding locality of Khusrobagh, which is now bustling township.