Along the shore
By Eric Ianuzi
11 Jul 2014
Series of images and towns along the Jersey shore. Continue series of storefront with some additional images.
Ocean City: Popular summer beach location. Known as the best family beach town, Ocean City is the counties largest city. The barrier island was originally used as an Indian fishing camp and later used to store caught whales. The town was formed in 1879 as a Christian retreat. The town has a large boardwalk and amusement parks.
Avalon: The affluent town was incorporated in 1892 and is located on Seven Island. Avalon was once considered the east coasts chicest beach on the Atlantic Ocean and has the motto "Cooler by a Mile".
Stone Harbor: Also located on the Seven Mile Island, Stone Harbor was founded in 1914. The town has a thriving beach, sailing facilities and commercial area. The town is known for sophisticated shops and small mansions.
Wildwoods: Made up of North Wildwood, Wildwood Crest, West Wildwood and Diamond Beach the area was incorporated in 1895. The area is a popular summer location with a boardwalk, shops and amusement parks, but is rather run down in comparison to the adjacent towns on the coast.
Cape May: Rich in history and Victorian architecture Cape May is a located on the southern tip of the peninsula. The town is named after a Dutch caption that explored the area in 1611. And was once the summer spot for U.S. Presidents and Congress. The town has great shops, inns, restaurants, a lighthouse and one of America's top 10 beaches. Cape May is considered America's First Resort town.
Atlantic City: Known for the Miss American Pageant, the boardwalk and casinos, Atlantic City is located on the Absecon Island. Incorporated in 1854 the city has suffered a decline and struggled to be redeveloped.
Margate City: Home of Lucy the Elephant and Marven Gardens the town was incorporated in 1885. Located on Absecon Island a few miles from Atlantic City. Worth visiting to see a home in shape of an elephant.
Somers Point: Once a Plantation and settlement started in 1693. The town was once a main port of entry for international travel from 1791-1915. The town is located on Great Egg Harbor and offers fishing and boating facilities.